Friday, January 27, 2012

Snowboarding in the East

That's right I said East...

Now lets start with what I'm use to:

  • 8 resorts within an hour drive
  • powdery wonderful snowy whiteness everywhere as you drive up
  • powdery wonderful snow to snowboard on
  • crisp mountain air phenomenal scenery. 
Before I describe what I got, let me say it was an awesomely fun weekend, and I am going to try to go again this season.  I find the following description so funny:
  • 1 resort = 3 hours of driving (with an awesome girl, Val, in her awesome new car)
  • brown brushes, trees, and fallen brown leaves everywhere as you drive up...though there there green hills with horses and cows closer to the city
  • man made snow that was okay to snowboard on
  • nice mountain air and good scenery


This is Val.  We went hiking the first day we were at the resort.  It was odd to go hiking one day and snowboarding the next.  Val is the best kind of friend- not only is she kind, giving and fun; she's willing to do whatever my crazy mind comes up with- even hike in January.  She doesn't really love the outdoors, but she still has fun.  

(p.s. this was my Christmas present from her- the 2 day stay, the lift tickets, yeah for discounts from Val's job and her generosity).  


Okay, here's the some of the resort.  I KNOW!!  Brown, and strips of snow where they were making it.  


Dear snowboarding boots, I'm sorry you touched dirt, I promise when you go back to the West you won't have to do that again.


Going though the snowmakers was a new experience.  You're trying to make your way through other people, get lots of turns and fun spins in, and then WHAM!  Your misted.  I used my face guard more than I ever have before!

All in all, it was a really fun day of snowboarding.  Val tried really hard and ended her day with a pulled muscle.  :(  She's a tough one though.  I took a bad spill on a blue run (they are more icy than the green runs).  My lift mates kept saying I could do the black, but by the time I got up my courage, I was tired and scared I'd hurt myself. Maybe next time.  

Yeah for snowboarding, even if it isn't in my beautiful Utah.



1 comment:

Trevor said...

Glad you had fun, even though it isn't what you're used too.
I have to admit the snow out west would be better for snowboarding/skiing, but the snow here it way better for snowball fights and snowman building, when we have it.