Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cherry Blossoms and Fish

The Cherry Blossoms have blossomed! I actually went to see them about a week too late, but those that were there, beautiful.
The picture below, correct me if I'm wrong, are actually magnolias. They are currently in full bloom and are so aromatic! They have the most tantalizing smell.



A friend and I this past week walked around the tidal basin to see the blossoms and enjoy the wonderfully warm, not too humid yet, spring. As we were walking I see this man with a fishing pole. Now we are thinking- ha, yeah right, like you're going to catch anything in the basin. Oh how we were wrong! This man starts to fight with something that is pulling his pole into a arch that I've only seen with large trout. Now I don't have a lot of experience with fishing, but what I have tells me, this is no small fish he's trying to catch. After about 2 minutes, he reaches down and with both arms, pulls this massive carp out of the water! What?!



Apparently the basin has a bunch of them. I never in my life thought I would posses a picture with a carp and the Washington Monument in it. Hahaha. It was a unexpected event on a fun day downtown.

The more I explore and experience this area the more I like it. I'm starting to feel successful in my job, I'm making friends, transitioning to my new apartment over in Arlington, and yes, going on dates. I think this is the beginning of good things.

4 comments:

Casandra Winter said...

I love it so random, wait you did not even know this guy? I need to call you ;)

Amy said...

I knew you would love it! I can't wait to come and see you soon!

Ashlee & Christian said...

You about made me shed a tear reading this post. I miss VA SOOOOOO bad and right now is my FAVORITE time of year out there. The cherry blossoms are gorgeous, oh I am so jealous. We close on the sell of our house tomorrow, so our big tie there will be gone and no turning back but moving forward with new adventures. Enjoy it out there tons, because if you ever move back out west again it will seem so boring and dull. Glad you are liking it so much. I think we need a post about some of your dates:)

leslie jo said...

I love it! What a fun adventurous life you are getting to embark upon! Glad things are falling into place