Monday, May 30, 2005

Chicken or Eagle?

I heard this from a motivational speaker,

He spoke of an eagle, raised with chickens. One day a man took the eagle, set him on top of the barn and whispered, "you are an eagle", the eagle looked at the chickens, the barn, and jumped down and started pecking with the chickens. The next day the man took the eagle high into the mountains where no chickens were, only he, the eagle and a vast sky. He then whispered, "you are an eagle". The eagle looked around, looked at the man, and took off into the horizon, soaring above all that was before him.

"To many of us have been told we are chickens, to many of us think we are chickens- but in actuality, we are eagles. Whisper- "I am an eagle", look at the vast expanse that is in front of you, ignoring the chickens, and soar!"

I hope I can not only do this for myself, but for the people around me.

2 comments:

KP said...

That is funny, because if you think about it, and extend the metaphor just a bit, what the story actually says is that most human beings are chickens (meaning either that they are afraid, inconsequential, stupid, etc.) And that if you surround yourself with others, you will never reach your full potential. A little strange it seems to be, but of course, the good thing the story says is that we should all sread our wings and fly like Jonathon Livingston Seagull.

Lindsey said...

I do have to say I agree- good point.

I also have to say that posting that little story is kind of out of character for me- I'm not a huge fan of the e-mail inspirational stories, etc, etc. Though some are good, most times I'd rather read personal accounts. I'll learn don't worry.