Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Grandma Recipe Try #1 Beer Batter

Well, first, I must have typed the recipe wrong.  Pg. 100 for those of you who have the same book- it's not 1 & 3/4 c. CORNSTARCH and 3/4 c. flour, it's 1 & 3/4 c. FLOUR and 3/4 c. cornstarch.  Do you know what happens when you put 1 3/4 c. cornstarch with a little bit of liquid- haha, not good.  Yes I now can demonstrate suspension, but that doesn't really taste good.


Just in case you were wondering in child terms:
A mixture of cornstarch and water make what is known as a suspension.  When you squeeze a Cornstarch Suspension it really feels like a solid because its molecules line up.  But it looks like a liquid and acts like a liquid when no one is pressing on it because the molecules relax.  This is another state of matter, called a suspension (It can act like a liquid, or, when pressed like a solid.).


I tried again and the batter turned out- well, turned out with lots more liquid then the recipe called for.  I'm not quite sure what happened to the recipe to be honest.  


Next, turns out, I don't love grease covered food that much.  Now sugar, of course, but grease- not so much.  I think it was good if you liked fried food...


So, success?  Not so much, but fun, yes :)


PLUS, I called Aunt Trudy to get help and that's always fun.

No comments: