Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Argyle, the only white person in Walmart, and Casserole made me cry...

1. ARGYLE So, a couple weekends ago, I went to an Argyle party. That's right, an Argyle party. The entire downstairs of the house was wallpapered with colored paper that had an argyle pattern copied onto it. It was awesome! Pictures to come, as soon as my roommate emails me them... Everyone was wearing some form of Argyle and some, too many forms. Ha.

I met a bunch of people, salsa danced, and a cute Marine in the Naval Academy (the one I salsa danced with) even got my number. Hehe. Now, he hasn't called, but still it's always a nice time when you get to dance and he doesn't go running the other way.

2. WALMART So I went to the Walmart South of my house- yeah I had forgotten that it's better to go North lol. It wouldn't be a big deal if they had actually had a selection of items, but the things I was looking for, those aisles were a little bare. K, so imagine the following: I walk inside, and immediately notice, I'm the only white person in my line of vision, so I'm thinking, well, there must be some of the minority in here somewhere ... no. I was the only white person in an entire huge Walmart. I thought it was a great/odd experience for this white girl who grew up in a fairly white world ;)

3. CASSEROLE So, this weekend, I thought- I miss the family a little, I think I'll make the sweet potato casserole Liz made for my going away dinner with the Hollands- that will make me feel better. Yeah- it made me cry. I'm sure everyone has experienced this at one point or another- I'm really far from home, everything is pretty unfamiliar, and I just had one of those weekends- I wanted my friends, my family, my local shopping spots, my home. I cried a bit, I talked to someone who made me a feel a little better, and though I'm still feeling a little homesick, I think it will get better.

The thing about making a move this huge is that it needs time right? I think I'll reserve judgement on if it was a good move or not, for a year. It will take a year to get to really know the area, to make friends, to establish some of the things that make me happy and secure right?

I love you all who are reading this. I can't believe how I've been blessed with such awesome friends and family. I'm grateful everyday.

5 comments:

Casandra Winter said...

You make me smile. Happy apt hunting :) The Walmart experience sounds real funny, was their any cuties. He he I think blk guys are really attractive myself

Deborah Athay said...

YOU BLOG? I blog! I can now stalk you all the time!! ;) I'm at: deborahathay.blogspot.com. See ya on the web!

Amy said...

Good to know, when in doubt for a party theme, choose Argyle!
I had a similar expierence when I was a kid living in Iowa. I walked into my 2nd grade class and I thought the lights were out. Everyone was dark. I was the only fair, blond hair, blue eyed kid in the entire room. I sat infront of a girl who played with my hair and asked how I got it gold?
I miss you and I am so glad you are updating your blog so I can keep in touch!
Love you!

leslie jo said...

The only WHITE person in WALMART that make me giggle. I am sorry you had one of those weeks. I am glad you are missing us as we miss you but I am even gladder (I know it's not a word shh) that you are making the best of this new life. Argyle party sounds hot!!! I might need that recipe I LOVE sweet potatoes

Lindsey said...

Casandra- there is the cutest guy at work- you'd totally love him.

Deb, I added you to my feed so I can stalk you too.

Leslie, let me know if you want the recipe, there are excellent.