Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Learning Experience

That's what I'm fondly referring to as the new house I'm renting...

In the month of April I'm paying double rent because I didn't plan well and my landlord (was a friend- yeah once you try to ask her for something to do with money, she's not very happy with you) wouldn't let me a month early out of my contract, and the new place started in the same month. So, double rent.

Then, we move into this house- it's two bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom with a huge backyard. Sounds great right? Yeah, that's what I thought when I did the walk through with people living in it. Well when I did the walk through with it empty, and signed the contract (stupid I have now learned), not so great. Cute old houses, in cute old neighborhoods, sometimes turn out to be old houses with lots of problems, cosmetic and otherwise, in semi ghetto neighborhoods! Ha! I do feel safe so that's good.

There are holes in the sheetrock, water damaged sheetrock in the bathroom, some of the doors don't shut all the way, and oh my goodness! It took me 5 hours to clean the kitchen. Whoever lived there before was disgusting! AND my landlord doesn't want to fix anything. I already signed a year contract, why would they?
So that's my learning experience, and I'm with it for a year.

I have learned- don't sign a contract until you really are sure, don't feel pressured, and ask for all the things you want done before you sign. I've learned I need to take pictures, and wait a day to think about things, and that life, life is a constant battle to not get taken advantage of.

Well...as I come up on my 25th year of life, (yes I'm turning 25, that's VERY weird), and I am changing my ways! That is what I have learned, and the cost- a lot of money, and stress because I'm living somewhere I can't properly clean, or feel comfortable in.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I have had a few learning moments also. While they suck, you do learn from them. Good luck with the house I am sure it will be fine!

Kimi said...

I wish I was sticking around to help a little. I'm looking forward to more assertive Lindsey.

Unknown said...

Linds if you need help with that kind of stuff (sheetrock and etc.) call me and let me know. Colby does that kind of thing and said he'll help out if you need it.

leslie jo said...

I am so sorry..
I really think you could take your landlord to court for this or at least threaten to. A landlord is still your landlord with or without a contract. AND the moisture in the bathroom could turn into toxic mold. I would read your rental rights. I am SURE you can find them somewhere online.
As far as doors they were probably hung wrong. Want my hubby to come look at them?