Friday, October 12, 2012

What's new in your life? Rob

Lately when friends and acquaintances have asked me what's new in my life all I want to answer is: 
Rob!  

He's the newest and best thing in my life. We started dating in June and I'm excited to finally share some stories and pictures with my friends and family though this post.

Here's the thing though: I haven't announced it on Facebook (he doesn't have an account anyway) and I haven't told a ton of people. Why you might ask? Well after lots of thought, I think I've figured it out: I worry that they will ask me when we're getting married and put pressure on. So, family and friends, I'm excited to tell you about this awesome man, but no pressure okay?

So, what's the STORY??

It all started with baseball (we'll talk about that later), but really, the romance started with camping.  That's right ladies, I found a man with my camping skills.  ;)

I invited a couple girls from work, a few people from my ward, and Rob to go beach camping with me.  At this point I'd been friends with Rob for a little over a month.

I was impressed with how Rob helped everyone with basically everything possible.  I realized throughout the weekend how good he is at talking to and getting to know people.

I was also impressed with how he goes for what he wants.  He told me later, he knew he had to take advantage of the weekend and couldn't let the opportunity pass.  He surprised me by kissing me.  Who knew he even liked me?!  And so the story begins...

A few months later Rob took me to his work suite night.  Oh goodness, meeting the co-workers.

He works for the Nationals - Washington DC's MLB team.  He manages 10-12 staff who sell season tickets and groups.  He got his MBA in Texas, worked for an arena football team there, then the Buccaneers in Florida.

I was interested to see how he was with me in that environment, how he treated his staff, and what he was like at work.  He proved yet again he is the same man everywhere and with everyone.  He never pulls punches, he's never different, he's just the easy going, positive person that he is with me.  He was great about introducing me and making sure I was having fun.  When you meet him, ask him about 'catching' a fly ball that night...

I'm grateful to baseball and my roommie Val because she introduced me to Rob, and I got to know him by going to baseball games with her on his tickets.  (He's always so generous with tickets to the Nats.)

Birthday Date!!
Rob planned my birthday date for weeks.  He even vetted it with his co-workers.  I was so touched with how much time and planning he put into it.

We found out about a month into dating that my Grandma White's star sapphire ring, matched his Grandfather's star sapphire ring.  How crazy is that?  I've never even seen anyone else with that stone.

That is what inspired my birthday date.  It was all a surprise.  He took me to the Smithsonian to show me the largest star sapphire in the world.  It's in the picture with our rings.  The restuarant we ate at had blue in the chaneller, on the menu and Rob wore a blue tie.  How thoughful :)  The restuarant is on the Georgetown waterfront - so pretty.  You can see the Kennedy Center in the background of the picutre.  We walked along the water after dinner and then retreated when a rat the size of a squirrel ran across the path!!  Still an amazing night.
Corn Maze
Rob told me a while back what he has on this bucket list. I was surprised to find that one of them was quite easy to accomplish.  I guess corn mazes are more common in the west. By 31 you'd think he would have been to one.  :)  I wasn't complaining, I think they are fun.

I found one in Virginia and we had a great time.  We traded off choosing directions and we finished in 1/2 the time they said it would take.  Ha.  We got pumpkins and even learned a little bit about farming in Virginia.
After the maze we had a little time so we went into the little town about 2 miles away.

Another thing we match on- finding little family run or hole-in-the-wall restaurants.  We found a little little place in town and had a delightful lunch.  He let me pay.  I think that's the second time ever.  I argued that I planned the date so he had to let me pay.  :)  I always offer, and I am willing, but truth truth- it's flattering he is willing to pay.  I feel taken care of.

So I don't really love this picture, but it's the only visual I have for the last portion of this post.  (I know, you're SO sad it's almost done) :P

When I met Rob the only experience he had with Mormons was knowing Val.  She made a good impression since he didn't run when he found out I was also Mormon.  :)  I can't tell you how amazing he has been in his approach to something that is SO important to me.  He has ALWAYS been respectful of my standards and my beliefs.  He's been a good boy and now is a good man.  The only thing he would have to change to be temple worthy is to stop drinking, and he doesn't think that would be an issue.

The most amazing part though- because my beliefs are so important to me, he decided he would listen to the missionaries, come to church, and find out for himself if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true and if he wants to be part of it.  To me - it's an amazing expression of trust and love.

I wish all my family and friends lived here so you could spend time with us.  I miss you guys at moments in my life like these.  I want to share my happiness and I want to see if you like Rob, (I know you will).  Thanks for reading.  Love you guys!

P.S. I had Lacey proof this post.  Thanks Lace!  She suggested I give a little more info about Rob's interests and hobbies.  So here you go:  (blame Lace if you weren't ready for the Post Script ;)

Some Interests and Hobbies: 
  • Basketball (he played for Texas State, coached after that, and now plays with his buddies twice a week).
  • Board Games - Rob's family plays board games, cards, etc.  When his Dad was here visiting this week we played Phase 10.  Awesome.
  • Cooking - well at  least he always makes me dinner when we're at his place.
  • Dogs - he has the cutest dog living with his mom right now.  She was from a shelter.  Love that.
Some Interests and Hobbies he's willing to do with me (again, awesome):
  • Festivals
  • Ballet and Plays
  • Picture Expeditions
  • Camping
  • Travel

5 comments:

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

I'm very happy for you, Lindsey!! Have lots of fun.

Cory & Alli said...

Yea! What a cute story! LOVE the sapphire rings! How cool is that? Will he come out with you for Christmas? If so, don't expect me to go easy on him! ;)

Haley said...

I love this post!!! I'm thrilled to hear things are going well for you two!!! xoxo

Nicole said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story! I love you guys!

AJ Candrian said...

This made me smile!