Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Baseball Kind of Summer

What is baseball?

Encyclopedia Bretanica says it's a game played with a bat, a ball, and gloves between two teams of nine players each on a field with four white bases laid out in a diamond (i.e., a square oriented so that its diagonal line is vertical). Teams alternate positions as batters (offense) and fielders (defense), exchanging places when three members of the batting team are “put out.” As batters, players try to hit the ball out of the reach of the fielding team and make a complete circuit around the bases for a “run.” The team that scores the most runs in nine innings (times at bat) wins the game.



I say baseball is a warm summer evening after work, sitting in slacks and a red Nationals t-shirt, waiting to hear my favorite batter's song as he walks up to the plate, staining my fingers chili pepper red with adicting chili smoothering a half smoke hotdog w/ onions and cheese.












I say baseball is sitting with a good friend talking about who's pitching and why we love Pudge (Ivan Rodriguez), the crack of a bat and the cheer of the crowd when it's a home run, watching the presidents with their oversized heads run to make the finish line, and cheering Teddy on even though he never wins.

2 of the 4 ;) I'll get the 4th, don't you worry! Teddy (my fav., and George)




I say baseball is watching fireworks over the water, doing the actions to 'Take me out to the ball game', and being skwished on the metro after the game between a dad and his little boy decked out in Nationals Gear, a guy with his arms around his girlfriend, and the plastic partition near the door. Seeing history in the making when Strasburg pitched his first major league game, feeling the excitement of the crowd when he finished with 14 strikeouts!!




Being with those I love and watching something exciting and hometown comforting, that is what baseball means to me.    



I credit part of my family for my first experiences in baseball. So I also say baseball is sitting in the evening sun, down the street from the house, on the camp chair Rob brought for me because he knows I'd forget, watching Nick and Josh through the chainlink behind homeplate- running, batting, catching and throwing- all to their hardest and best no matter what the score, the smell of sunscreen Becky made me put on because she knows I'd forget. Chating with Gayle and being teased by Gary in between inings. Being so proud of the character Nick and Josh show when they compete. And the view of the setting sun over the mountains.



I guess I've expanded an old interest ;)        

No comments: